Psalm 130 - VCU (1996)

Virginia Commonwealth UniversityPsalm 130 - sacred choral male fugue
TNR: bass MH: tenor ??: counter tenor
Out of the depths have I called to you, O LORD; LORD, hear my voice; let your ears consider well the voice of my supplication.
O Israel, wait for the LORD, for with the LORD there is mercy; O LORD; LORD, hear my voice.

If you, Lord, were to note what is done amiss, O Lord, who could stand? For there is forgiveness with you; therefore you shall be feared.
I wait for the LORD; my soul waits for him; in his word is my hope. My soul waits for the LORD, more than the watchmen for the morning.
mp3 download

A choral fugue of straight biblical text, performed in University Convocation (2000?). Singing above me are the amazing tenor Matt Hasmer, whose style always wet my eyes, and a red-headed counter tenor whose name I have regrettably forgotten but was blessed to work with at Centenary United Methodist, Virginia.
As with most of my sacred choral music, the lyrics were prayer to the God of my family, whom I was desperately yearning to also believe in.
Recorded poorly in mono, this was however the work's
most accurate and passionate performance.

No comments: