Gently Johnny - Tanakh (2002)

Tanakh - Villa ClaustrophobiaGently Johnny - Irish folk tune
TNR: acoustic guitar, trumpet, flugelhorn JP: voice DL: electric guitar, backing vocals DC: violin VA: backing vocals, cello, upright bass, flute


mp3 download

Tanakh (2000-2002) was a neo-folk ethnic collaborative, this song recorded at Sound of Music in Richmond, released on the album Villa Claustrophobia: me on acoustic guitar, trumpet and flugelhorn, Jesse Poe singing lead, David Lowery on electric guitar and backing vocals, Dan Calhoune on violin, plus a half dozen others I'd rather know the names of on additional vocals, cello, upright bass, flute, etc.
Together for two years, the best lineup with tabla and violin, the tabla player left for college so we added a drummer and lady bassist, playing shows around Virginia before finally touring northern Europe, me inexplicably on electric bass. We'd more recordings from our time together, none appropriate here.
My favorite memory with Tanakh is sitting on stage, bass drum and cowbell and vocals mic in front of me, trumpet underseat and flugelhorn at my right, phonofiddle and cello to my left with electric guitar behind them, and my clarinet propped centerstage. During performances, I went from one instrument to another then another, in heaven.
My worst memory is of the singer lying to us regularly, and stealing.

No comments: