Tobit's Prayer - VCU (1997)

Virginia Commonwealth UniversityTobit's Prayer - gentle wedding song
FB: flute TNR: baritone TM: soprano
Blessed art Thou, O God of our fathers, and blessed be Thy holy and glorious name forever. Let the heavens and all Thy creatures bless Thee. Thou madest Adam, and Eve his wife to be a helper and support; from them the race of mankind has sprung. Though didst say, "It is not good that man should be alone. Let us make a helper for him like himself." I now take this, my beloved to wife, not out of lust, but in true marriage. Grant that she and I may find mercy, and grow old together.
mp3 download

Written for my sister's wedding, she and her husband chose verses from the Book of Tobit which I then reversed in order. Since performed a number of times, this recording's from my VCU Composition Recital (2001): Professor Francile Bilyeu on flute and vocal duet between myself and the lovely Terri Murphy.

No comments: