What a Difference a Day Made - SongStealer (2005)

T. Nathan Roane - SongStealerWhat a Difference a Day Makes - Dinah Washington
TNR: vocals, guitar ER: violin, violas

mp3 download
songsheet download

After Tanakh, I began working under my own name, deciding it best to build a legacy with something I'd carry for a lifetime. In University, they taught to write a fugue, 12-tone, for string quartet, jazz ensemble, choir, etc - but never a song. For that, I now studied folk like Johnny Cash, Bob Marley, Willie Nelson, Loyko, The Beatles and an enormous amount of Neil Young, in total arranging some 120+ classics.
Fascinated by gypsy music, I wrote lines for violinist Erik Redford and we performed around Richmond. Before my move to Germany, we made the SongStealer album (2005)
with engineering mentor Matt Wenninger at Romper Room Music in Mechanicsville, VA. Artwork by mom Catherine Wenninger.
What a Diff'rence a Day Made was first recorded by The Dorsey Brothers Orchestra (1934), later by Frank Sinatra, The Four Aces, Andy Russell (1944),
Tony Bennett, and Esther Phillips (1975) - though it made me fall in love with Dinah Washington (1959). Nearly a year after my first recording here of violin and guitar, I went back and added a second and third line of Erik Redford on viola.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Nate!

I just love this song even though it is not my favourite on that CD :) Keep on keepin on, man!

Best wishes,

Andrej.