Folsom Prison Blues - SongStealer (2005)

T. Nathan Roane - SongStealerFolsom Prison Blues - Johnny Cash
TNR: vocals, guitar

mp3 download
songsheet download

To sing "I killed a man in Reno, just to watch him die" with any amount of sincerity is a challenge that should not go unappreciated. To provoke more feeling and energy, I invited the engineer's wife Amy Wenninger to watch in studio so as to record more a performance. She had over a drunk jazz-pianist friend who had been hitting on her and generally being a nuisance, and he insisted on sitting in as well. When he started bopping about, then actually getting up to dance - while I was recording - I burned with an anger authentic enough to help.
I'd recorded several earlier versions, all too fast, high and fake to share here. Folsom Prison Blues was originally written and recorded by Johnny Cash (1956).

No comments: